Join the Board
Support the mission of the DSA through decision-making and overseeing the organization's activities.
Updated October 2, 2019
The Dalcroze Society of America (DSA) welcomes inquiries from those interested in serving on its Board. In the global community of Dalcroze Education, the DSA functions as the United States delegation to the International Federation of Eurhythmics Teachers (FIER: La Fédération Internationale des Enseignants). It also maintains an ongoing relationship with the Institut Jaques-Dalcroze, which authorizes the training of Dalcroze teachers and teacher trainers throughout the world.
A member association and tax exempt, not-for-profit corporation, the DSA is governed by a Board of Trustees. The DSA Board works to advance the interests of the DSA and its members, in accordance with the DSA mission, which consists of three broad goals: Sustain and expand the professional practice of Dalcroze Education in the USA and in the world; strengthen the extended global community of practitioners and institutions dedicated to Dalcroze Education; and, raise the general public’s awareness and appreciation of Dalcroze Education. You may find more information about Dalcroze Education on the DSA website, https://dalcrozeusa.org/.
Our Board is made up of Dalcroze practitioners, musicians, educators, and other professionals who all bring their specific expertise to the strategic leadership of the organization. As a working administrative board (as opposed to a purely advisory or development board), we are looking to expand our activities and services in order to increase the visibility of Dalcroze Education at home and abroad. Terms last three years, and trustees may serve two consecutive terms.
Throughout the year, the DSA organizes a number of programs, events, and initiatives, including: hosting a bi-annual conference and funding regional workshops, chartering and supporting local chapters, distributing scholarships, and accrediting Dalcroze teacher training programs. In addition, the DSA publishes content online, via its website and online newsletters, and via the online and print trade journal, Dalcroze Connections.
DSA Trustees are critical to the life of the organization. They play an active role in the DSA’s decision-making process and in the follow-through. To make their presence felt as DSA representatives and spokespersons, both within and beyond the organization, they:
- Attend and participate--virtually, in most cases--in Board meetings (1x/month: 2 hours) and committee meetings (1x/month: 1 hour).
- Prepare for each meeting by studying materials made available the week before.
- Assert well-informed opinions in the DSA’s shared decision-making process.
- Stay informed about the DSA’s structure, operations, history, and culture, and the state of Dalcroze Education in the USA.
- Serve on committees and actively help them fulfill the DSA’s mission.
- Serve in other leadership capacities, as needed.
- Inspire other DSA members to participate actively in the life of our organization and help to recruit new Trustees and Task Force or Committee members.
- Embody the DSA’s values and advocate for its mission, in word and deed.
We seek individuals who are passionate about Dalcroze Education and who have organizational expertise and experience in one or more of the following areas:
- Budgeting and Finance
- Strategic Planning
- Marketing, Outreach, and Membership
- Fundraising and Institutional Development
- Event Planning and Management
To express your interest, and to find out about upcoming vacancies, please email the DSA Vice-Chair and Governance Committee Chair, Lauren Hodgson: email@example.com.
JOIN THE DSA
Become a member of the Join the Board by joining the DSA.